Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Home!


Alan and I arrived safely home and well this morning!  I even stopped by and worked a bit before we headed to our house.  It is also safe and well, thanks to my wonderful friends who watered plants and brought in the mail.  My blue poppies are still blooming and my peonies are perfect. I certainly thought I would not see them at all.

A few things to mention about our first cruise with Fred Olson!  Apparently this company has the reputation of the passengers being "Newly weds or nearly deads".  Well, in our experience, this was not the case.  We made more friends and had much more fun than any other cruise we have been on!  We would never hesitate to recommend this cruise line or go on another cruise with them.  Don't get me wrong, the age range is on the upper scale, but not solely 70's and above!

And as for the problems with Norovirus.  I know that is always a worry on any cruise ship.  And if you read the passenger forums, it sounds really scary for this ship alone.  But when I mentioned we had no self service on the buffet, I didn't realize that was not meant for the duration of the cruise.  And I apologize for not coming back to that.  After leaving the ship for our first stop at Alesund, we arrived back to find a transformation - suddenly there were no holds barred at any of the self service places - whether it was the buffet or the 24 hour coffee.  We had access to everything!  After being so controlled for the first 3 days, I was feeling a bit confused.  I had accepted we would have to exercise restraint at the buffet, only to have this lifted.  What happened? 

What I did not realize was we were all under a sort of quarantine and after 3 days no one fell ill.  So there was no Norovirus to worry about!  This did not mean we didn't have to wash our hands or use the hand gel that is everywhere, but that is on all ships and we are used to that.  I have kept meaning to put this change in, but when on board, I had to count the minutes and always felt rushed when putting the blog together.  Now I have all the time in the world!  Trouble is, I am feeling terribly jet lagged.  Why?  Maybe the sleep deprivation from those wonderful sunny nights!

However, we would all have not embarked on our journey to Norway as passengers and then disembarked back in Scotland as cargo had they enforced the staff serving us all at the buffet for the duration of the cruise! 

Hail, Gastronome, Apostle of Excess, Well skilled to overeat without distress! Thy great invention, the unfatal feast, Shows Man's superiority to Beast. --John Boop

No comments:

Post a Comment