Friday, June 28, 2013

Visiting Olden and Floro


 


Arriving at Olden 

We have been docked overnight in Floro!  When we arrived at 8:30pm, we felt we were given shore leave and left the ship to get an advance idea of what Floro would have to offer!  Well, it didn’t take very long……everything was closed for the night. We did find a few bars, but one felt much too local and the other would have cost us the equivalent of £50 or $75 for 4 beers.  With very little atmosphere, we felt that money would be better spent on the ship and just came back.  But we also felt tomorrow is another day and are looking forward to discovering this darling village when it is awake!

One very interesting about Floro is that it is the westernmost town in Norway and there is nothing between it and the Americas!  So I will look West and give everyone in Canada a wave hello!

Yesterday was one of those rare perfect days that will last a lifetime in our memory.  We docked at Olden, but once again, had planned a trip so did not actually see Olden.  It looked precious too, but such is life.  

We were the first group to be tendered off the ship so we could catch our bus for our walk to Briksdal Glacier. We were informed that this is the largest glacier in Europe.  So that means I have visited both the highest, in Switzerland and the largest in Norway!  Maybe I should start bagging glaciers like people in Scotland bag Munros!

When we booked this trip, I knew it was a walk to the glacier, and I really worried about how high it would go and how long it would take me.  We only were allotted something around an hour – that meant to leave time for cakes and coffee afterward.  My uphill muscles and not that dependable and when we first saw the glacier, my worries tripled! 

 

First view of the Briksdal Gladier

 

The walk was not unpleasant though, and I spent the whole time in deep conversation with the dance instructor!  We had never met before and by the time of reaching the top, we knew all about each other’s families and many other things.  So that is my way of bragging that not only did I make it to the end of the walk, but I was able to walk, talk and breath at the same time. And in all honesty, we only went to  the base, not the top.  (Thank goodness!)

Alan and Pat at the Briksdal Glacier

 

The lake at the base of the glacier was so cold it had bits of the glacier floating about in it!  One of our group decided to suck an ice cube and she said it tasted like mineral water.  I was not brave enough to do this!

 


Briksdal Ice!

 

The other thing, I don’t think the camera could catch, was the color of the glacier.  It was that lovely blue you see in photos from Alaska.  Here is the picture, you might have to use your imagination to see the blue though.

 

 

 

On the way up and the way down, we saw these beautiful goats.  One had such amazing markings that made it look more like a small deer than and goat.  But it never cooperated for me to get its good side!
For some reason, I can't access the picture of the goats to post, sorry! Will try another time.

 

AND I made it down in time for cakes! 

 

Alan and I walked into Floro this morning and found  a more vibrant town than last night!  The buildings are really cute and the harbour has loads of private boats, plus the most modern ferries I have ever seen.  But from what I understand, at least this part of Norway had very few roads until recently.  Everyone depended upon ferries to get anywhere.  Now there are roads, although many look like single track roads, and loads of tunnels as well.  But there are still many, many ferries too.  As dependent as we are upon our cars, I can’t imagine this way of life. But it must be more relaxed and pleasant that what we are used to! 
Floro also has a tourist information place with free wifi!  Alan and I sat there for a while checking emails, etc on our tablets. But to do this blog, I need my laptop so am restricted to doing this on board the ship, on their internet service!  Not ideal, but I like doing this blog, so worth the sacrifice of having to sit in the lounge or bar, having a drink to be polite! And catching up on the day. 

“Nature does great things without asking for reward”

Alexandri Herzen

No comments:

Post a Comment